Get up and running at Vanderbilt
Additional items for Residential Students
Graduate and Professional Students
- VUnetID - Authorize your VUnetID and activate your VUnet Services. You will use it to identify yourself to essential online services and resources at Vanderbilt. For security reasons, the student should do this NOT the student's parents. The student must know his/her password, but nobody else should.
- Update - Update/patch your computers Operating System to be sure that all manufacturer recommended updates/upgrades have been applied. Windows users can do this by choosing "Start > Windows Update." Mac users can click on the Apple menu, then "Software Update."
- Vmail link - Bookmark the following link for web access to your Vmail.
- Anti-Virus - Install anti-virus software on your computer, available at no charge to you. And protect your computer with anti-spyware software, also at no charge.
- Free Software - Students can download Microsoft Windows and Office for free through the Vanderbilt Software Store
- Cellphone - Need a cellphone? Several cellular vendors offer special plans to Vanderbilt students which were designed based on student input.
- Become familiar with online services available to you at Vanderbilt. Here are some for which you will have access to when you authorize your VUnetID:
- Register for classes - Log in to YES (Your Enrollment Services) to register for classes.
- OAK - Online Access to Knowledge, a web-based courseware application. Instructors can post course-related information for students and conduct courses in a secure online environment, as well as communicate with class members.
- Heard Library - access to databases, electronic journals and other services.
- PeopleFinder - online contact database for the Vanderbilt community.
- Access 2 Academic Information - allows students and their advisors to access personal academic record information online.
- Know that assistance is available:
- IT Support - The ITS Help Desk provides assistance with questions or problems concerning connecting to VUnet, the campus data network. Help Desk staff also assists with email clients, web browsers, certain desktop applications and remote access issues.
- Computer labs - Some Computer labs are available to all students, free of charge. The labs feature word processing, spreadsheet and instructional software, as well as access to the internet & other resources. Staff in the labs are generally familiar with software in the lab and can provide assistance on a walk-in basis.
- Check with your school for details of any additional support provided by the school:
Vanderbilt University Faculty and Staff