- Host Based Firewalls - ITS Information Security recommend you use the default firewall on your windows or mac machine.
- Network Based Firewalls - For assistance contact ITS Partner Support by calling 615-936-ITSP (6-4877) or by submitting your request online or contact your Service Delivery Manger (SDM)
Host Based Monitoring Tools/Troubleshooting Tools
- Active Ports - Maps ports to the owning application and displays a local and remote IP address.
- TCPView - Maps ports to the owning application and displays a local and remote IP address.
The information on devices or media must be erased and not recoverable before they are disposed of, surplussed or transferred within or between departments. (You must attach this tracking document to the device, and abide by the disposal of electronic information policy). Use the following tools to 'scrub' the data away:
- KillDisk - A disk eraser software for secure formatting of hard drives without any possibility of following data recovery.
- Dban - Open source boot disk that automatically and completely deletes the contents of any hard disk it can detect.
SpyWare Detection / Removal
- Ad-Aware - Scan your memory, registry, hard, removable and optical drives for known datamining, aggressive advertising, and tracking components for removal. There is a free and purchased version.
- Spybot - Scan your memory, registry, hard, removable and optical drives for known datamining, aggressive advertising, and tracking components for removal. Free but donation requested.
Virus Detection / Removal
- McAfee's AVERT Stinger utility - a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but is useful if your computer is already infected.
- AntiVirus Software for Vanderbilt Users - AntiVirus software is available to the University community at no charge to the individual or department. This is a critical application that all users should download, configure and use.